How to Install Windows 10 from ISO Image File?
Installing Windows OS is not a complicated task. You can easily install Windows 10 from ISO image file using a DVD or USB drive. The Windows upgrade option is also an excellent choice to install Windows 10. But you can not directly install Windows from ISO file on a computer. Here we just explain the method you must know to install Windows 10 from an ISO file.
Install Windows 10 from ISO Image File
You must know that you can’t install Windows 10 from ISO image file directly. It’s not impossible, but you can do it with Windows deployment services. The Windows Deployment Services (WDS) enables you to deploy Windows operating systems over the network, which means that you do not have to install each operating system directly from a CD, DVD or USB.
Benefits of Windows Deployment Services
- Allows network-based installation of Windows operating systems, reducing the complexity and cost compared to manual installations.
- Supports deploying images for mixed environments including Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 through Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.
- Uses standard Windows Setup technologies including Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), .wim files, and image-based setup.
- Transmits data and images by using multicast functionality.
- Allows you to create images of a reference computer using the Image Capture Wizard, which is an alternative to the ImageX tool.
- Allows you to add driver packages to the server and configure them to be deployed to client computers along with the install image.
The below articles are about Windows deployment services, which explain the WDS usage on Windows servers. With these step by step articles, you can learn the best way to deploy Windows 10 images in the network environment.
- Install Windows deployment services on Windows Server.
- Configuring Windows Deployment Services.
- Install and Configure WDS on Windows Server 2016.
- Deploying Windows 10 with Windows deployment services.
- How to Capture Windows 10 Reference Image using WDS?
On the final note, installing or deploying Windows operating systems with WDS is a perfect option for the network environment. For installing Windows on a single machine, you must use a DVD or a Windows Bootable USB. The following article helps you make a Windows 10 bootable USB with Diskaprt utility and Windows PowerShell.
Tools for Managing Windows Deployment Services
The following are tools that you can use to manage your server:
- Windows Deployment Services MMC snap-in – Provides an easy way to manage images, computers, and common server settings. You can perform almost all tasks from the MMC snap-in (for example, you cannot prestage client computers). Note that the snap-in is not available when you install only the Transport Server role service.
- WDSUTIL command-line tool – enables you to manage the full functionality of the server. WDSUTIL also enables you to script common tasks.
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets for WDS – enables you to manage and monitor the WDS server using Windows PowerShell scripts.
How to Install Windows 10 ISO from USB?
To install Windows 10 ISO from USB, create a Windows 10 bootable USB with Diskpart or PowerShell. When you have created a bootable USB drive, then boot your computer with USB and follow the Windows 10 installation process. It works the same as installing Windows 10 from Windows 10 DVD.
And anymore question you have about installing Windows operating systems, feel free to ask as from comment box under the post.
My windows 10 expired in January. I made an ISO disk off of my laptop to correct the issue. How do I get it to work? The computer I am repairing is my tower.
Hey Lorena, you have to activate your Windows to solve the expired issue. If you are using the enterprise evolution edition of Windows 10 you can reset the Windows 10 license status using the slmgr /rearm command.