A short guide to installing Windows Server on SD Car for Cisco UCS Servers. In this lab, I demonstrate it on Cisco UCS 220 M4. The method works fin for every UCS servers.
Before booting your UCS Server, check the Cisco FlexFlash section via CIMC to make sure the Server recognized the SD card.
I’ve mounted a Samsung Evo SD Card instead of dedicated Cisco SD Card.
Install Windows Server on Cisco UCS SD Card
- Boot the UCS Server with Windows Server Bootable USB Flash.
2. In the Windows Setup press
Shift+F10 to open the command prompt.
3. Type the
diskpart and press enters then partition the Cisco UCS SD card for Windows Installation with below diskpart command.
list disk Select disk 4 clean format quick fs=ntfs label=System assign letter=C active exit
Now the SD Card is partitioned and ready for deploying Windows Server.
4. Run the Windows image file using the below command from the bootable USB.
X:\source>dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:d:\sources\install.wim /index:2 /ApplyDir:c:\
D drive is my Bootable USB which contains the Windows Server sources contents.
5. Finally, edit the Windows Server boot manager to force the system to boot via drive
bootsect /nt60 C: /force /mbr<br> bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:
6. Done. Restart your UCS Server and it will boot up via SD card.
Read more about Cisco UCS C220 M4 Server Installation and Service Guide
It was helpful. Thank you for this short guide.